2008/03/08

WHAT DOES THIS INVOLVE

Recently I had been speaking to my mums friend who draws up plans for houses ready for redevelopment or houses ready for refurbishment.

Tim Howard who is a freelancer explained to me “if you are seriously thinking about being a modeller and working for a company and getting regular work u might consider working for a company that is in the same field as me” Tim howard manages his own small private freelance network, if you like.

Time gets in the clients and works directly with the customers then gives the blueprints to the architects and designers. So what Tim meant was that I could work as part of that team, perhaps only dealing with the 3d visual which would be eventually be presented to the clients to show them the future their house could have.

While conversing with Tim I began to developed a really genuine interest in his line of work. So I began to ask him a few question which may later on aid me if I wanted to follow his career path in the future.

Q1. How did u get yourself out in the open for people to recognise you?

“ Well I went about it in the wrong way to begin with. When I started out I was giving out little leaflets to people through letter boxes, just so people had a contact number if they ever needed us(the company).

I later met and estate agent by chance who told me that I should try leaving leaflets and diy stores and within Estate agents. ( Leaving them at estate agents is smart because a lot of clients that want renovate a home have to buy their houses first then look for people or companies who can aid them)

Then I started leaving ads in the Loot newspaper and various others.”

Q2. What sort of work will I have to be accustom to when thinking about this line of work of which u talk of?

“ Well when working with clients like mine, if u want to work on the 3d side of things, there are two main rules u must abide by :

  1. make sure u stick to the clients plans and do not add your own ideas unless asked to.
  2. Make sure that u present that work at its highest possible state.”

“If you were to work for a client ready for renovating you will have to be precise with scale and modelling. You have to remember this is a model house that your are creating not just one of your college projects. So skills in planning are essential Solomon”

“ You will also have to remember u will effectively be working as a team aswell so a lot of patience is required, you will not be working alone.”

No comments: